Friday, July 29, 2011

Business Cards: Great For More Than Just Networking!

(Photo: Military.com)
Everyone should have business cards for networking, no matter what field they are in.  But, beyond networking, having business cards can get you free stuff!  We all love free things, don't we? So here's my sales pitch as to why you should order some today and take them with you EVERYWHERE you go. 

1.  People are going to remember you if they have something to remind them.  It's so simple.  You don't need to be at a networking event or a business meeting to run into possible clients or other people that need your contact information.  If you have a card on you, it makes it much easier to get your name out there and for people to remember you.  Whether you are looking for business or just want to keep in touch, having a business card to hand out is the easiest way.  Even if you are a student, it is good to have cards on hand.  You may find someone looking for an intern or someone looking for a future employee.  The one thing I regret not doing my first two years of law shool, was having business cards made.  I ran into people on the train, at the Thompson Center and even at a family reunion that were interested in my contact information.  I realized that these people will never remember who I am or why they have my number if it's on a piece of paper or in their phone.  The best thing is to give them something to hold onto. 

2.  You can get free stuff with your cards.  And who doesn't want free stuff?  In the past two months, I have won 10 free burritos from Chipotle and dinner for 10 at Buffalo Wild Wings.  Beat that.  All I did, was put my business card in the fish bowl thing that they have out.  It helps me by giving me free stuff and helps their business by getting their name out there to other people.  (Believe it or not, I found someone that had never been to Chipotle and they fell in love.  You're welcome, Chipotle)  It is so simple to carry around a few business cards with you everywhere you go, there's really no reason to not take advantage of it.


(Photo: 2expertsdesign.com)
3. Now that you are all convinced that you should get business cards, here's some tips:  I am a firm believer in making your cards stand out. You don't want to get too crazy, but do something a little out of the ordinary with your card. That way people can identify it easily when they have a whole stack of cards to go through.  For example, my firm's cards run vertically and are grey.  Clients often say they like that they can spot our cards easily.  You can order cards online from many different places, or stop in an office supply store.  http://www.vistaprint.com/ always has good deals, I just don't know about quality as I've never ordered from there.  I've also found some good deals on daily deal sites like buywithme.com, eversave.com and even http://www.woot.com/.

So when you win something by using your business cards and then invite me to join you...

No comments:

Post a Comment