Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Taking Advantage of Free and Inexpensive Networking and Social Events

(Photo: coydavidson.com)

There are so many groups that put together afterwork networking and social events that are either free or pretty inexpensive, you might as well take advantage of them.  You get to meet people, and usually get free drinks or some food, and learn more about the establishment where the event is hosted.  It really is the best of "all" worlds.   Here's a list of a few that I've been to and my tips/opinions on each.  I'm from Chicago so my experiences are Chitown based, of course.

Network After Work:  Yes, that is actually the name.  They host events in most major cities, so check them out even if you are not in Chicago.  The networking events usually cost $5-$15 and free drinks will be provided for about an hour by the alcohol company that is hosting and often times a catering company or restaurant that will provide some small bites.  I have been to a few of these events and they are usually fun.  It's nice to meet people in different professions and also possibly people in your own profession and make some connections.  You wear a name tag that is color coded for what field you're in, making networking that much easier.  It is always less expensive when you pre-register and you may also be able to gain early entry.  Definitely do both of those so you don't spend too much money and don't have to wait in line.  I definitely recommend events hosted by Network After Work.  The only down side is that they can get a bit crowded and loud.  Check out their website at http://www.networkafterwork.com/.  That's easy enough to remember. 

Time Out Chicago:  While I enjoy their website and the magazine, I usually cannot stand the events that they host.  All of the events I have known about have been free, which is great, but they allow way too many people to rsvp and the staff is highly unorganized and usually not helpful.  The events they host always sound so fun and tempting, but it is just not worth it in the end.  The first Time Out event I went to was deceiving.  We found a table and chairs in the way back and the only reason it wasn't insanely crowded was because noone knew there was a hidden table area.  So while my table of peole had a nice time, the rest of the bar/restaurant was jam packed and people were bumping into each other trying to balance food and drinks on hand rails.  It seemed unenjoyable for everyone.  The other two events I have attempted to attend have been horrendous.  You stand outside in line for a very, very long time and the staff is not helpful at all in explaining the situation.  They never bothered to tell us that that we were wasting our time standing in line because the event would be over by the time we got in.  The one time I did get in after standing in line for an hour, the place was so crowded you could barely move.  Then when we went up for a drink, the bartender told us they were out of the free drinks that we were supposed to be able to sample, but a cash bar was available for other drinks...sneaky sneaky.  If I'm going to wait outside in line for an hour to attend an event that is supposed to be free drinks, sampling of food and spa services, why would I want to then pay for drinks instead when I finally get inside?!  It was also overly crowded and we could barely breath.  That was the last straw and I have not been to another Time Out event since then.  So my advice?  Do not waste your time going to Time Out Chicago events unless you are going to arrive extremely early and don't mind waiting in line and you're not claustrophobic.  :)  Here's the website, in case you're still interested timeoutchicago.com

Yelp:  I love the Yelp.com website, first of all, because it allows me to express my opinion on every place I go to.  And since I give my opinion anyway, I might as well have an outlet to write what I think other than annoy the people that I'm out with.  Yelp not only is a site for people to write and search reviews of establishments and services, but it is also a way to get in touch with people in the Yelp community and check out restaurants, etc in your area.  If you are a member of Yelp, you can rsvp to most of the events that they host.  All of the events are free (aside from tipping the servers, which is a must).  There are, however, a limited number of spots available because, unlike Time Out Chicago, they do not let the events get overfilled.   I've been to events at bars, restaurants, the Shedd Aquarium, markets and even a country club.  Yelp administrators always out-do themselves at these events.  You often get to sample free drinks, food and other ammenities that the specific establishment has, along with meeting new people that love Yelp as well.  I always hope I won't run into any criminals at the events, but pass my business card out anyway when everyone else does!   Check out the site and join if you're interested. http://www.yelp.com/  Then write some reviews and attend the events that they host.  I promise, you'll like it. 


Ok, it's time to get off the computer and meet new people, try new food and drinks, and check out local establishments.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment