Thursday, November 17, 2011

Weekly Bet Ya Didn't Know: Home Remedies That Work!

So I've been slacking on the "weekly" part.  Well, I'm back on track.  I was sick for the past two weeks and my mom pulled out her book of home remedies.  My first thought is "Oh, goodness.  What is she going to make me drink now?"  But, surprisingly, some of them actually work.  So this week, I look at what home remedies fix common problems.  These tricks also save you money!  After all, the name of the blog is Flirting with Frugality.  Here's a few that really do work.

Photo: www.herdaily.com
This Strange Concoction Helps Laryngitis.  My mom swears by this and I had always thought she was crazy.  Well, I was wrong.  This odd mix really does the trick.  I have to give props to "Food Your Miracle Medicine" by Jean Carper.  (Fantastic book with other ideas).  Pineapple juice, ginger, nutmeg, rosemary, spearmint and you can add a little licorice as a sweetener.  I didn't add the licorice, that's too weird for me. Try it the next time you have a sore throat and are losing your voice. 

What Should Really be in "Goo Gone."  Skin So Soft by Avon is like a miracle liquid.  Goo Gone has nothing on this stuff.  Use it to get gum, stickers and other gooey business off of anything.  I've also seen my mom use it to clean the inside of her car and polish furniture.  I swear! Just be sure to do a stain check first if you are using it for the first time.  You'll save money buying just one bottle of Skin So Soft for all these different purposes.  You can order this magic potion from anyone that sells Avon or on the website avon.com

Here's How to Get Oil and Transmission Fluid out of Your Driveway or Garage Floor.   There are certain products you can buy at the store for this, but why waste your money when you can use things you already have at home.  My car was leaking transmission fluid all over the garage.  Not good.  So I tried a few different things and this is what worked best:  Pour down some Cat Litter and stomp around on it to soak up the access, then scrub with Dawn dish soap.   Voila!  I've heard you can also use saw dust or sand in place of cat litter, but I didn't try those myself.  What didn't work: Baking Soda, Green Works Cleaner and Palmolive.

There's plenty more.  We'll save those for another day...I'm off to Vegas!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment